~ * Eternal Maiko *~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For all the European kimono lovers and around the world!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hasume
Maiko
Maiko

Female Location : Missouri, United States

Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Empty
PostSubject: Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present!   Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 10:46 pm

We all know a little about these crazy styles, but lets look at how they have changed in the past 100 years, and how they evolve from person to person to fit their faces.

Also what are the regional differences for Maiko? Are there differences for Geiko, too?
Back to top Go down
http://threeriversokiya.com
Hasume
Maiko
Maiko

PostSubject: Maiko differences: turn of the century Gibson Girl influence.   Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm

The Gibson Girl Hair Style: according to wikipedia
"The Gibson Girl was the personification of the feminine ideal of beauty portrayed by the satirical pen-and-ink illustrations of illustrator Charles Dana Gibson during a 20-year period that spanned the late nineteenth and early twentieth century in the United States."

The images below are all from the late "Gibson period" the 1910-1920 years when the Japanese would have started catering more to their international guests -- I suppose.
Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Gibson-girl1

Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! 4407605367_5456324c51 -- Photo credits to the amazing Okinawa Soba-san

Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! 2571665829_2359711782_z -- Photo credits to the amazing Okinawa Soba-san

Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Tumblr_m0ha459lC51qedijlo1_400 -- This was from a tumblr account that had no name ^^

Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Tumblr_lxu7jxUU4y1qh09kzo1_500 -- Look at that crazy hair! Taken from a tumblr site in Japanese. Someone tell me who took these!

Compare to:
Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! 249278 This is a tokyo Hangyoku from 1890. Difference?

Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! A519708c9763 -- Here is a Tokyo Geisha from 1890 -- was this a regional difference, or was the huge hair truly due to western influences?
Back to top Go down
Hasume
Maiko
Maiko

PostSubject: Current Maiko hairstyle over 120 years ago: Tayuu and yujo look?   Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 2:25 pm

I had previously thought that the small hairstyle with the much-reduced front poof was a recent compromise. Modern, I thought. But look at the attending yujo -- or Tokyo professional courtesan. The size of the side-wings and proportion to the top looks VERY similar to me! Thoughts? Comments?

Taken from the HistoryNYC.com website:
Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! 8292w
Back to top Go down
Kimino
Eternal Maiko
Eternal Maiko
Kimino

Female Location : Europe

PostSubject: Re: Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present!   Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 1:00 am

The hairstyles of geiko have changed little,and even so there are so many different ones.
Sometimes I wonder,if the Gibson hairstyle was not influenced by Eastern ones. It can also be the opposite way.
The fact is that both were meant to be puffy I guess ^.^
Back to top Go down
https://eternal-maiko.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present!   Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hairstyles of Geiko and Maiko, past and present!
Page 1 of 1